Ascorbic acid, also known as vitamin C is an organic compound present in many fruits and vegetables. Ascorbic acid is supposed to be a part of a daily balanced diet. Balanced amounts of ascorbic acid are essential in the diet as it can be harmful both when overdosed and taken in deficiency. If taken in overdose, it can result in diarrhoea, nausea, burning sensation during urination and irritation on the skin. Deficiency of ascorbic acid can cause scurvy which primarily affects the gums. It is important to consume fruits with ascorbic acid in the daily diet. Some of the fruits with ascorbic acid are:
- Oranges: Orange is one of the most common fruits with ascorbic acid and is also one of the most commonly grown tree fruit. Brazil is the largest producer of oranges in the world. Many people around the world prefer a glass of fresh orange juice along with the breakfast which is sufficient to take care of ascorbic acid needs of the body. There are more than 50 varieties of orange which are enjoyed all around the world.
- Lemon: Lemon is one of the richest sources of ascorbic acid. Lemon is very sour and hence is never consumed directly as a fruit. Lemon juice is used to add flavour to many cuisines. Lime water is a popular summer drink which contains few drops of lemon, a dash of salt and chilled water. Mint may also be added to add an extra flavour to this already refreshing drink. Pickled lemon is also famous. India is the largest producer of lemons in the world.
- Pear: Though not a very rich source, a pear is popular as a fruit, not just because of its nutritional qualities but also its taste. China and Italy are the top producers of pear in the world. Pear is consumed as a sliced fruit. The fruit isn’t very juicy and hence consuming it as a fruit is preferred around the world. Pears differ largely in size from place to place. Pears are also sometimes eaten dried.
- Strawberries: The most popular among fruits with ascorbic acid is strawberry. People like strawberries more for their beauty and taste than for their nutritional value. Egypt is the largest producer of strawberry in the world. Strawberry is consumed as fresh fruit. Strawberry pie is a famous delicacy. Strawberry is also used to flavour ice creams, milk shakes and drinks. In fact, strawberry ice cream is the most popular flavour of ice cream after vanilla and chocolate.
- Mangoes: Mango is undoubtedly the king of all fruits and is considered to be one of the most delicious fruits all around the world. India is the largest producer of mangoes all around the world. Mangoes are available in more than 300 varieties and vary upon the region in which they are grown. Even though mangoes are grown in a few countries, they are exported all around the world because of their demand. Alphanso mango is considered to be the most juicy and delicious variety of mango and is also one of the costliest variety available in the market. Mango juice and mango flavoured syrups are also famous around the world. Mango is used as an ingredient in many recipes including pickles and jams.